Beth’s Project – Expanding the knowledge base for sand lizards (Lacerta agilis)

Hello, Beth here. I cannot believe we have come to the end of the course! It has all gone very quickly but we have learnt so much along the way. I really cannot thank everyone at Marwell Wildlife and the University of Southampton enough for the support and invaluable guidance they have given me over the past year.

As a research Masters, the bulk of our year was spent conducting our own research projects. I stayed in the UK for mine and studied sand lizards (Lacerta agilis). This species of lizard is one of the UKā€™s rarest reptiles with small fragmented populations isolated to a few heathland and coastal dune systems in the south and northwestern regions of the UK. Marwell has been part of a collaborative initiative aiming to conserve this wonderful species for quarter of a century. You can read more about the conservation work here https://www.arc-trust.org/news/25-years-of-saving-sand-lizard.

Two males fighting

Two males fighting

My research project focused on expanding the current knowledge of the behaviour of this very cryptic and elusive species. I was particularly keen to examine whether individuals within a population had different ā€˜personalitiesā€™. It is thought that by understanding behaviour, we can best inform management decisions regarding the captive breeding and reintroduction initiative. More broadly, it will enable a more thorough understanding of the life history consequences of behaviour and also the populationā€™sĀ ability to adapt to changing environments. This adaptability is imperative to species survival in the 21st century due to the threats of climate change and other anthropogenic (human) activities.

Individual 'number 6' - the underdog

Individual ‘number 6’ – the underdog

During April, May and June I spent in excess of 120 hours studying the captive population held at Marwell Zoo. I was able to identify each individual based on their unique patterning, in the same way that humans have individual fingerprints. I quickly gained a favourite (I know I know, you shouldnā€™t have favourites); individual ā€˜number 6ā€™ a stunning lime green male who was a bit of an outcast to begin with but proved a big hit with the ladies later on in the season, a true underdog success story! Aside from the terrible tan lines, I absolutely loved my observation period and found gaining an in-depth view into the lives of my lizard friends fascinating.

Juvenile just before it was released at Eelmoor Marsh

Me conducting behavioural observations

Me conducting behavioural observations

I was also lucky enough to take part in the release of 80 juveniles at Eelmoor Marsh (SSSI). This was a fantastic experience and it was great to see what my research is contributing to. For those who are interested you can watch a video about the release here https://www.facebook.com/marwellwildlife/videos/10154228074372168/.

Juvenile settling in at Eelmoor Marsh

Juvenile settling in at Eelmoor Marsh

The whole experience has given me a wonderful insight into what conducting research in wildlife conservation involves and has made me confident that this is the career path for me. I am excited to see what the future holds!

Good luck to the next group of students, I cannot wait to hear what you all get up to!

— Beth

Posted By :