Lucy Richardson

Graduation: 2008
Degree: German
Current Job: MNC. Senior associate at PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers).

26e231a-2I joined PwC shortly after graduating in 2008 and have spent the past six years in global compliance. I manage tax and accounting requirements for a variety of multinational clients, mainly household technology companies. Clients outsource their compliance work to PwC, and we coordinate execution of the work globally, providing clients with one point of contact; putting best practice processes into place. My role is split between managing these existing client contracts and identifying opportunities to win new clients.

The international aspect of my job is the most appealing for me. My clients are mainly based in Ireland and I have colleagues located in most major cities across the world, whom I have met at overseas conferences and events. I use my German on a conversational level, which has certainly helped me to build relationships with German, Austrian and Swiss colleagues. My degree also encouraged understanding and appreciation of different cultures, which is essential in my role.

Key aspects of the Southampton university experience are put to use in on a daily basis, from writing emails and reports —particularly vital as English is not a first language for many of my overseas colleagues — to presentations and working within a team.

The skills required for this role have been transferred from what I learnt a Southampton- specifically project management and organisation, as there are constantly differing priorities and client demands. As a client relationship manager, communication skills are vital, alongside being approachable yet commercially minded.

When I was at university I was not aware of the world of client relationship management. No day is ever the same, whether it is problem solving an issue in a particular country, planning and attending client meetings or providing innovative ideas, it is a rewarding role that leads to a multitude of further opportunities.

Connect with Lucy on LinkedIn, in the ML Career Connections group.

Posted By :