My Tokyo Summer Placement

A special summer

こんにちは皆さん! Hello everyone and welcome to this very special edition of my blog, brought to you from 6000 miles away in Japan! The Japanese at the start means “Hello everyone”, by the way. So, what am I doing here? Well, to answer this question you must cast your mind back (or at least move your scroll bar down!) to the end of last year, when I had a string of interviews for summer placements.

I was in the very fortunate position to receive offers from four of the companies involved, and when I saw that Dialog Semiconductor had an office in Tokyo I asked if it would be possible for me to do my placement over there, and to cut a long story short, here I am! I had one week in the UK office in Swindon to start me off, but since then it’s been Tokyo all the way and I’m absolutely loving it! I will be here for six weeks in total, and right now I’m approaching the end of week number 5 and my only complaint is over how quickly the time has gone. It has truly been a phenomenal experience!

Let’s start with my job. So I’m working for Dialog Semiconductor, who are world leaders in advanced power management devices, which in simple terms are the sort of things you put into mobile devices to make the batteries last longer. I am part of the Advanced Technologies Group, which is really cool as we’re looking to create the technology of the future and as such there’s some really clever stuff going on. For understandable legal reasons I can’t go into any specifics of what I’ve been working on, but suffice to say it’s been real hands on IC design work, right down to transistor level circuit design and simulation and I have learned a huge amount. Also, my colleagues are all really friendly and helpful and have really helped me to settle in nicely. Actually, it’s a real big shame that just as I’ve settled into a nice routine, both in terms of my work and daily life that I’m going to have to come back. That said, I am looking forward to coming back to England for a bit too, so perhaps this was an ideal length of time to spend for one summer.

Outside of work I’ve been really busy too so as to really make the most of my time here. I’ve done lots of sightseeing every weekend and usually several evenings a week after work too! Amongst other things I’ve been to the Meiji Shrine, Senso-ji Temple, the Imperial Palace and Akihabara which is the electronics-Mecca! Literally every shop has about 8-10 huge floors worth of all sorts of electronics goods; it really is quite amazing to see and a must for any engineer! Sadly though, with the current weakness of the £, it isn’t quite the bargain-land I expected, so I haven’t come away with anything major, but it is still nice to see. My personal favourite item was a glasses-less 3D digital camera, which had such incredible picture quality and depth it simply must be seen to be believed! Another highlight of my trip was to see an old friend for the first time in 11 years – over half my life ago! He went to school in the UK for four years when his dad worked here, but then moved back to Japan and we hadn’t met since, so to do so after such a long time was really すごい (amazing)!

I could carry on typing for ever about all the cool stuff here, but I don’t want to bore you too much, so I’ll leave it here for now, but shall definitely post again soon!

じゃまたね! (Speak soon!)
アダム (Adam)

P.S: To every who got their A-level results yesterday and will be joining Southampton, congratulations! You’re definitely in for the best 3 or 4 years of your life. And let this post be a reminder to anyone who thinks engineers don’t get all the fun! 😀

My Tokyo Summer Placement, 10.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating