Moving house

Feeling slightly elated after receiving my results a couple of days ago. Only 40% is required to pass and the grades from this year have no value in the overall degree. Hence, it would have been easy to adopt the attitude that this will be easy therefore only the effort required to do this should be made. To use the vernacular: that would have been something of an epic fail. (Yes, I had to look up ‘vernacular’ in the dictionary as well.) Three reasons: the modules that are taught in ‘Part I’ form a solid basis for what is to come – internship interviews went well because of what I had learned; the amount of work to get by in ‘Part II’ is higher than ‘Part I’, so it’s wise to get up to speed now and get the best out of the university learning style; Lastly, bright students can be awarded a bursary.

Suffice to say I got an average in the high seventies, which translates into a first. I reserve the right to wear a smug grin on my face for the next couple of days since I’m keenly aware that any repeat of that mark next year is going to be something of a mission.

At the moment, I’m on a break from packing in the move from halls to my new house. The biggest pain of which stems from the unique way the telephone system in this country has been fragmented in the name of competition. Not so much the lack of phone line, merely the lack of broadband which is vital for anyone in the IT sector and arguably increasingly vital for those outside of it. What I would like is to have a phone line with provider A and broadband package from provider B on the move-in day, or at least within a few working days. It’s nearer three weeks, especially if the present occupiers haven’t got around to cancelling their current arrangements. This isn’t a fault necessarily of the people moving out, as moving is probably the most stressful event most people in a civilised society go through and it’s easy to forget things. Maybe I should just drop the naive idea that the technical challenges should be the only major contribution to the time taken in setup. (I’ll descend from high horse now.)

Anyhow, after the move-in I start an internship locally which will keep me occupied for the Summer. This is related to long-term storage of data. Although it doesn’t sound the most sexy of subject matter (but then not many IT roles have that factor), it is of considerable importance to organisations which generate large amounts of data and has some interesting challenges. More of which I will find out about in due course.

Best get back to packing. Fortunately, the BBC have large chunks of music from the Glastonbury Festival on iPlayer and this could provide a decent soundtrack to the move.