Christmas Holidays 2010

I’m typing this at home, on a new Samsung netbook, surrounded by great food and family and just watched a great English team retain The Ashes in Australia – it’s been a very good week to say the least! After a successful but hectic year it’s been really nice to have a little break from it all and recharge my batteries before it all starts again in 2011.

Before I sign off for 2010 though, I first must tell you about my exciting December. Back at the start of term I applied for a scholarship from the United Kingdom Electronics Skills Foundation (www.ukesf.org), a collaboration between industry and six universities set up to attract, develop and retain the top young electronics talent in the UK. I was very fortunate to be invited to interview by five of the companies involved (Aptina Imaging, ARM, Cambridge Silicon Radio, Dialog Semiconductor and Imagination Technologies) and so I spent a few weeks criss-crossing the country on the train to squeeze in all the appointments in between my lectures. It was great to be able to visit so many great companies and visit all these new places, and I even managed to fit in a visit to an old school friend in Cambridge whilst I was there which was really nice. Unfortunately this also coincided with the first batch of very heavy snow and it looked for a while that I would be stranded there for a while, but luckily trains started running later in the day and I managed to make it back OK! I was very pleased with how all the interviews went, but will have to wait and see how I got on…

Anyways, the holidays won’t last for long, so best make the most of it! Now where’s that Christmas pudding gone…