Awaiting Exam Results – May Come Out on My Brithday

Time sure flies.

I got my previous semester’s exam results last month. I always seem to get my Semester 1 results on or around my birthday. It’s kind of scary; if the results are good, I would definitely feel like celebrating, but if they’re not, it will just ruin my special day. This year, thank God, my birthday celebrations went without a hitch 😉

The Students’ Union held their elections last month as well. It’s funny how all the candidates I voted for LOST. Again. The same thing happened last year. It’s as if whoever I vote for WILL lose. OK, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but I suppose next year, hopeful candidates should try a new spin when they approach me during their campaigns: tell me ‘Dayah, don’t vote for me!’ and they’ll probably get a shot at winning. Who knows? LOL 😛

At the moment, we’re all in this nice lull where the pace isn’t as fast as it used to be towards the end of last semester. We’re still knee-deep into our respective Software Engineering Groupwork (SEG) projects and they do take a good chunk of our time but apart from that, it’s been smooth sailing so far.

On March 14, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, will be coming here to ECS to deliver his inaugural lecture on the history and future of Web development. If you’ve read my earlier blog posts, you would have known that I was completely star struck when I saw him in Edinburgh last May. For a guy who revolutionized the way the world works – and effectively igniting my interest in Computer Science – I would’ve expected him to be aloof, but I was surprisingly wrong. He’s funny, down-to-earth and most importantly, he’s approachable. When my friends and I went up to him for a photo (star struck, I tell you!) he was very friendly and he didn’t have this oh-I’m-so-famous air around him. To me, Sir Tim Berners-Lee is like a rock star without the attitude. I’m well chuffed to be breathing the same air as him again next Wednesday 😀