IT Innovation

It’s been a month since I’ve started working at IT Innovation, where as I mentioned in my last post, I got the job. It’s a lovely ride up there each day (weather-permitting). I have been assigned to the WeGov Project as that is the one I expressed most interest in at my interview. In a nutshell, I get paid to use Facebook and Twitter. Of course, this is an overly-simplistic summary. My real work is in delving deep into social networking APIs and topic-opinion analysis. It’s still all good fun though. So far I have learnt how to use two new software packages and a new Software Engineering notation, Business Process Modelling Notation (BPMN) .

At the moment I’ve been looking into and how I might represent various use cases of the project using BPMN diagrams. My next goal will be to refine my current models and “translate” them into a workable PHP/Java prototype to see them in action. I could use Business Process Execution Language but this doesn’t tell you if your concepts will work, though it can be used to simulate the program work flow.

My colleague (and friend) who sits next to me is doing much more hands-on work with mathematical modelling, Matlab and Java and who has on a few occasions consulted my help. I feel honoured that a post-graduate in Operational Research would ask me for advice! It goes to show that what I learn at ECS is valuable to others. The work environment at IT Innovation is quite relaxed and there is certainly a lot of trust in you for getting the work done on time for meetings. As one of my friends remarked, IT Innovation is a good place to work and I think based on my first month here, I do agree. My supervisor reports that I am making good progress, which I hope to keep up.

Each day after work consists of sorting out more things on my big to-do list, cooking and gaming. Two nights a week consist of that as well as Jiu-Jitsu training. On the weekend, my girlfriend comes down or I go to Bristol to see her. Long distance doesn’t seem that bad. Bristol is only about two hours away anyway; it’s the perfect distance away as it’s close enough to go back home to visit occasionally but far enough so that I feel independent. I do like Bristol, it’s a nice city, but so is Southampton.