Full Circle

Who would’ve thought that after a year, I’d still be blogging right here. It feels oddly surreal.

My summer was absolutely amazing. I went back home to Malaysia for three months and I got to spend some quality time with family and friends. I also had the chance to do an internship in a semi-government institution.

Whoever started the rat race to join the working world should be shot. The way I see it, you’ll never get the chance to be a carefree undergraduate again (unless you’re getting a second degree) so all throughout my internship I was thinking to myself, I’ve got three months to enjoy in my beautiful, sunny Malaysia and there I was cooped up in a cubicle. But oh well, such is life. If you don’t start preparing for your future now, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a job later. There’s a reason why it’s called a race; if you don’t step up your game, you’ll get left behind.

My internship was quite daunting in the beginning. In my efforts to beef up my CV, I had written down that I knew Linux and C-shell scripting although my experience was limited to say the least. I’ve never used Linux before I came to Southampton and the only bits I knew were the ones I learned at university. So when my supervisors gave me the task of integrating a server running Microsoft Active Directory (?) to a Squid proxy server (??) that’s sitting on a Linux box using bash scripting (???), I felt sick. :S

Let’s just say that the internship was quite a steep learning curve for me. But you know what? If it weren’t for this one course module that’s called System Administration Tools and Techniques, I wouldn’t have survived. My paycheck depended on everything I learned from that single 1st year subject.

Moral of the story: Make use of all the skills you learn at university. And be careful about what you put in your CV šŸ˜€

Despite the horrors, I really enjoyed the internship. My colleagues were awesome and they were always helpful no matter how silly my questions were. The working atmosphere was very friendly and it’s one of the reasons why I kept looking forward to going to the office. Apart from that, once I’ve completed the project, there’s this indescribable satisfaction of finally getting your head around a problem and seeing your solution running beautifully. It’s this same feeling that has always made me want to do computer science.

Time just flew so fast. Before I knew it, it was time for my flight back to Soton. All in all, my summer was a blast! It’s kind of depressing knowing that it would be my last four-months-off-to-do-anything-I-want summer as an undergraduate šŸ™

But I’m glad to be back here. There’s only one year left for me. So many things to do, so little time. I’ve gotta make the most of it! šŸ™‚