Finally Getting Into the Swing of Things

Here it goes…

After almost two weeks living in Southampton I am finally starting to get into the swing of things. The list of things you need to do and places you need to find is endless, with nowhere near enough hours in a day. Everything seems to overlap and this is before lectures have really started to take their toll.

Arriving in a new place to live for four years with people you have never met before, having to cook your own food and do your own washing has got to be a daunting prospect for anyone, but Freshers’ week soon took care of any worries I had. Although everyone frets about not getting on with their flatmates, nobody I have spoken to has really had a problem with this, in fact my flatmates are awesome. Nothing has been as bad as it may have seemed before we started.

As soon as moving-in weekend and welcome parties had finished, the week was kicked off with the ECS Jumpstart program. We had all kinds of stuff to do including a tour of the city and a presentation to make so that we could get to know our new tutor group before all the hard work starts. In between the University-organised events like the Bunfight to sign up to the societies and Jumpstart we spent the time getting to know our flatmates and going out on various student nights. The UV paint party at my halls bar was very messy but an amazing night out!

Week 2 brought the reality of the start of lectures and having to actually drag yourself out of bed in the morning. With the workload still not too high as everyone was still being brought up to speed there was time to go to some of the taster sessions for some of the societies I had signed up to. My advice: give everything you can fit in a go, you might just find something you love!

It looks like it’s going to be a challenging but very enjoyable four years so I’m looking forward to seeing what it has in store…