Fourth Year…

So here I am at the start of four years in Southampton. And the first week and a half have been more eventful than I could have thought. Living in halls is a great experience, and the best part is being completely self-sufficient. Before coming here I had never done my own washing (Mum’s job), cooked for myself properly (Mum’s job), or had to think about money so much (also Mum’s job). But daunting as it may seem, it’s actually really quite fun! Sometimes you find yourself under stress, for example if you forget to give Student Finance your new bank details until the day you should be getting your money (guilty…), but if you at least try to keep on top of everything (and keep some spare change for the washing machines!) then you’ll have a ball.

The Bunfight is a major Freshers’ Week event and an absolute must. There are so many societies and clubs that try and grab you and recruit you as you walk through the Students’ Union, and you end up having a hard time deciding which ones to go to! After much deliberation I settled on Mountaineering and Chinese Kickboxing, and I’m even going to the Peak District this weekend to go climbing! My advice to anyone joining the University is to make sure you join at least one club, as it makes life more interesting and not about work, work, work all the time.

Having said that, what I have been most looking forward to since I got here is actually starting my degree course. As an Electronic Engineering student I have a pretty full timetable, but it turns out that you actually get quite a bit of free time (don’t forget to do your maths though, that’s all in your own time!). After you’ve worked out where your lecture theatres are (I recommend carrying a campus map everywhere), you very quickly get into the swing of things. I’ve only been having lectures for four days and I already feel like I’ve been here for months! Being a University student is huge amounts of fun and although you have to work hard, the sense of achievement at just being here is a great motivation to do your best in your studies.