Freshers Week at Southampton

Part 1

I’ve been here for about 5 weeks now, it doesn’t feel like it though… but then again time in University seems to work completely differently from the rest of the world. It feels like I’ve been here for no time at all, and yet freshers week seems years ago.

The first thing I noticed when I started here was how much free time you have. And yet even with all this free time, I always seem to run out, every time I start doing something I always end up doing it for hours on end. This is really good if I’m reading one of my course books (or really anything productive), not so good if I’m on facebook. I’m sure that it is something I will get used to.

Freshers week started with Jumpstart, which consisted of various missions you and your team had to complete. They were things like get a photo of you in front of certain places in town, make a flag pole and so on. This was helpful as it helped you to meet the people on your course and start to get used to town. Fairly soon after we had the ‘bun-fight’ (I have no idea where this name comes from) which is where you sign up to societies. This was absolutely crazy, every place was incredibly packed. The societies ranged from the usual ones, to the absolutely crazy, but it was a good place to meet people and get invited to socials. By going to these socials, and by social I mean the pub I was able to meet new people, which is good as when I was later going out with my flat, I ran into people who I had met before and have had some really good nights.

A lot of my free time between lessons seems be spent in the Zepler labs (where I am now). The labs here are really good, if a little packed at times. All the computers either have two screens, or one massive one, which is always nice. Also everyone in them really seems up for helping each other. If you need some help you can just ask the person next to you. That sort of atmosphere really helps you get down and get a lot of work done, and there’s a lot less distractions then doing it at home.

Anyway I think I should get back to working.