One Year Down….

Well, that’s it! It’s the end of my first year at Southampton University and boy has time flown by. I can’t believe that this time last year I was still revising hard for the last of my A-level exams and yet now Part I is all over.

My final exam was last Tuesday and overall I was very pleased with how they went. Analogue Electronics was first up, and due to a nice choice of optional questions even those of us with a slightly shaky understanding of more complex FET operation were able to come through relatively unscathed! Next came Digital Electronics which most people felt would be the easiest module. It duly delivered, however there was a suprisingly heavy weighting towards System Verilog questions (a hardware description language that lets you synthesise hardware automatically) and large parts of the course were strangely emmitted. Nevertheless I think it went OK. The final exam of the first week was Communications and Control, which for various reasons everyone was fearing the most. I managed to answer the Control questions without much difficulty, but the Communications section was much harder. I think I managed a decent stab at it though – it could certainly have gone much worse!

Onto the second week, and next came Engineering Physics. Most of this wasn’t too bad but I was left slightly stumped by one of the questions regarding the motion of a ball on a parabolic path. It was supposed to be SHM but unfortunately I couldn’t quite get it. Never mind. On the final day we had the joys of two exams – back at school this would have been fairly routine, but it is almost unheard of here! Nevertheless, when it was over it was all over; that’s what we had to keep telling ourselves. In the morning we had C# Programming and despite it only being a 1 hour paper there was almost as much to do as all the rest of the exams! We were all struggling to finish, but I just about managed it in the end. Finally came Maths. This was the paper I did best in last semester and after having been through a few past papers I thought it would probably be so again this time around. I thought it was fine, but it was definitely much changed and much more difficult from any of the recent exams, and I know a lot of people really didn’t like it at all. But still, it was all over; we are free!!!!!

Fortunately the sun that had been so lovely whilst we were stuck in revising decided to stay nice for a few more days, and so I spent last Wednesday and Thursday lazing around with my friends. I normally like to plan out exactly what I’m doing in a day, but for a change it was really nice just to do virtually nothing and go with the flow! I’ve now come home for a few days and am heading back to Southampton tomorrow. I’ve got a busy week of music ahead as SUJO are playing at the Graduation Ball on Wednesday evening and then we have our main concert of the year in the Turner Sims on Saturday night. Should be good!

If any of you reading this still have exams, then good luck and I hope you get what you need! 🙂