Time Flies

Next week will be the last week of term before the Christmas Break. It’s amazing how fast the time has flown by and also how much seems to have been packed into such a short space of time.

I’m looking forward to digging deeper into a few of the forthcoming subjects. Last Friday, I attended a lecture on Computer Systems and Applications where a brief overview of AI was presented. Given our lecturer is very into his subject, it’s not difficult to find the motivation to get up first-thing in the morning for that reason. The subject is really fascinating and immediately after the lecture, the conversations started on how such theories could be applied. There is too much interesting subject matter to research, I should consider the possibility of cloning myself…

As this is being written, my mind occasionally meanders onto the technical report due at the end of term and the group presentation due immediately after. Both challenges are focused more on the ability to execute the task in hand than to the content itself – although the latter is important, especially in terms of accuracy. These both have provided a good opportunity to research a previously unknown topic. It’s not too difficult in the computing world to find an unknown subject, so it is good to have the chance to read up on a few. As all this requires a dig through a lot of academic papers, the concept of how an idea gets developed in academia and pushed into the public domain in brought into focus. It seems that knowing how write a decent report could indeed change the world.

Onto a quick social life update. Since my last blog, I’ve attended the final beginners session at Archery. Needed a break on that week and this was just the job. Despite not scoring many arrows, the gradual adjustments to the bow had done what had been expected and paid off. Therefore it wasn’t just down to fluke. Unfortunately, I’ve not had the opportunity to go back since, but I hope to get a session in before Christmas and carry on in the new year.