Began Making Real Progress with the Prototype

Ethically sound

In the immortal words of Professor Farnsworth: “Good news, everybody…”: yep, Ethics approval got given for my questionnaire and it is now out in the wild. So the natural progression has been to get anyone and everyone to fill it in. If I haven’t got around to ask you yet, it can be found here. Some people in the computer world appreciate getting Slashdotted. In ECS, one can get Joyced. What is Joyced? The term (coined by Samuel Weston esq.) refers to the distribution of a news item by the editor-in-chief and communications manager Joyce Lewis. It was either that or producing a LOLCatz poster (“I can haz your datas?”). It is reasonable to assume that the email from Joyce was far more helpful. Suffice to say that the response to the survey has been very good so far and I hope this will continue. I appreciate the time taken by people to circulate/complete it and thank all those that have done so. It looks like the survey data will produce some very meaningful results.

In another news, I have began making real progress with the prototype. As a natural-born coder, it is so very good to be in amongst the code and producing something. So much of the job involves the paperwork, so the coding makes a positive change. The damn of a new semester has given some subjects which are relevant to the project in hand. One such module is Advanced Databases, which covers Temporal and Spatial Databases, the latter of which is most handy when dealing and searching visual data. In previous years, the first week of the new semester has been quite relaxed as it is only introductory lectures, but this year it has been hectic due to the amount of work required for the ongoing project.