Term is done!

Well that was quick. I know this term is only just over two months long – but it would seem that once you get started at University, you lose all sense of time. This applies to, one, being horribly late for lectures, two, coursework deadlines, three, to how long you’ve actually known the people around you (it seems like forever a lot of the time), and finally four, to how long you’ve been here.

So today I learnt that, at a push, I could stride from the Glen Eyre halls to my lecture theatre in ten minutes – this was due to a fatal timing misjudgement involving a supermarket. I still want a bike though; the path from halls to theatre is completely downhill. And who cares about getting back up? You don’t exactly have to rush back to halls for any reason at all, trust me on this.

Coursework is much easier to put to one side than college – I had to find this out the hard way, of course, and things tend to get sorted a bit quicker now. You don’t have too much time to do coursework – usually a couple of weeks – though, granted, using careful time management, this can be viewed as a LOT of time. But what they’re asking of us at this stage isn’t too much anyway. This will inevitably change drastically come the second semester.

It’s like only yesterday I woke up and had to go to my first induction meeting and meet my fellow brainboxes. But then again, compared to home (and more specifically, college) I’m surrounded by my friends so much more than before, giving me the subtle illusion that I’ve known them since birth. This is undoubtedly a very good thing – but on this topic, something has been worrying me recently – people are looking for flatmates for the second year. Now don’t get me wrong, most people, myself included, have already made some very good friends, but I’m thinking this is just a tad premature, especially seeing as the dedicated ‘housing week’ is set for February. The Students’ Union are holding an event on housing tomorrow however, so I’ll be interested to see what they have to say on this…

Until next time…

-D.T