On the back burner

On the back burner

The advance of my project slowed significantly for week 4. The third-year project accounts for a third of the workload, so there are going to be weeks where very little is done despite the best intentions. That being said, it was possible to continue with a drip-drip approach. For example, I managed to complete an initial project plan in a 40-minute gap squeezed between two lectures. This is limited by the second deliverable – the progress report – which is due on the 15th December. The content of the report will include requirements, feasibility study with a cost/benefit analysis and a specification at a minimum, at which point it will be a clearer idea as to what can be done and the project plan will be revised to reflect that.

The same approach is being applied on the progress report: construct the component parts and assemble them come the finish. I feel better equipped to rework a draft with potentially too much material and reduce that down, then put the document together in a week before it is due and be struggling for material – although this sometimes doesn’t aid with producing a narrative, as it can look bolted on as an afterthought. However if the component parts are clear, it is merely a case of thinking though a linkage between each which fits between introduction and conclusion. Time is rarely a friend here. A recent essay for Accounting and Finance (part of the management module), the primary consumer of my time in Week 4, was a difficult task as I lacked a decent narrative until the day before it was due. Fortunately, given the time spent on this project so far, I’m confident that a strong argument with a flowing narrative should be relatively simple to construct given the research material that already has been assembled.

I think it goes against the grain to put something of the size of the third-year project on the back-burner, but it seems to be bubbling away nicely.