Life at Southampton and ECS

Aaaand breathe!

Sitting back and reflecting on an incredibly fast-paced semester from the comfort of an armchair at home, I’m struggling to articulate what life at Southampton and ECS is like – there’s so much to it! Whether it be the challenging coursework, the (admittedly sometimes befuddling) engaging lectures, the task of balancing all of this with a social life amongst the swathes of opportunities various societies present, or just remembering to maintain some form of lifestyle in the midst of everything else, this first semester has flashed by, teaching me a great deal in the process; for instance, I have impressed my family with my newfound ability to fall asleep in any place, at any time!

During the semester I had the overwhelming privilege of being part of the cast for this year’s Theatre Group Freshers’ Play, You Can’t Take It With You, granting me the chance to work with a wonderfully gifted and friendly bunch of people, from actors and actresses to stage crew and an inspirational production team; I’d like to thank them for making it such an unforgettable experience. Thanks also to everyone who came along; I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! At the risk of sounding like an Academy Award nominee, I’d like to say thanks to everybody at SUSUtv for trusting me not to break the camera when I somehow found myself in front of it in a live broadcast (the sound being expertly mixed by my fellow blogger Luke Avery), and a few other occasions!

The last week was one which I found to be my most academically challenging ever, as the deadlines came thick and fast. Although I had done enough preparation to finish, check and polish my assignments on time, there was still a strong sense of urgency every day as the pressure to submit work mounted – never have I quite been so keen to see a command prompt display the word “BADGER” than when building my “Enigma Machine” decoder! With an electronic hand-in system available, there were a few (quite literally) last minute revisions of references, sentences and bits of code!

My target for this semester is to learn from my experiences of 2011, particularly my mistakes, and be as efficient with my time as possible to match 2012’s plentiful demands. Revision for exams is well underway – wish me luck!

Here’s to happy and successful new years for all!