Decisions, decisions…

Decisions, decisions …

I’m a big fan of flexibility. Being asked to make a rushed decision is not something that I welcome. My landlord will no doubt be asking in late November as to whether we want to renew our house contract or start showing some over-eager freshers around to take our place. Note to freshers: leave it to after exams in February; the people in the houses will be more friendly and the houses aren’t going anywhere. In contrast, the choice of degree programme and modules is reasonably flexible. It is permitted to modify the choice of modules until the 3rd week of the given semester. In part III, or the third year if you prefer, the bulk of the module choices are optional with the exception of the project (2 modules each semester) and Management 1 if a person is on a four-year course.

However, I have something of a dilemma on the final point. If I wanted to keep the option of doing a fourth year and going for the Master Degree, I’d have to take Management 1. However, this is expected to be one of my weaker subjects. When I started University, the target had been an upper second class bachelor’s degree and everything more would be considered a bonus. So this is scheduled to be my final year. However, instilled with confidence of achieving stated aim, this follows with the question of whether to push onto the next level. During the summer, I’ve had the opportunity to be reacquainted with family and old friends. The classic opener in any conversation is to ask what someone has been doing, to which I explain that I’m currently at University studying for an undergraduate degree. The follow up question is usually “and this is your final year?”. To this not-very-open ended question, I tended to greet it with indecision.

So what are the pro’s and con’s of going for the MEng?

Pros:
* Looks very good on the CV.
* Get to enjoy the student lifestyle for another year.
* Ego boost: “Master of Engineering” has a nice ring to it.

Cons:
* Costs at least £20k in real terms: Loss of earnings (at least £14k), tuition fees (> £3k) and living expenses (> £3k).
* More tuna salad.

I have a poster in my bedroom which reads: “Achievement: In life you should not pursue goals that are easily achieved, develop an instinct for what can be only just achieved through your greatest efforts”.

Decisions, decisions…