The Best Student Paper Award

The Best Student Paper Award

What’s up every-buddy!

I have good news to tell you regarding my research. I won the “Best Student Paper Award” at “The European Conference on Data Mining (ECDM’11)”, July 2011, Rome Italy. Well, that shows the top quality research being carried out at ECS and of course the motivation(s) I have towards the research…. 🙂

Apart from attending the conference, I had a good chance to visit Rome. I can define Rome as: it is romantic, it is historical, famous for its gladiators. It is full of famous places, though one cannot visit all in a short trip like I had. I was not able to visit the most famous “St. Peter’s Basilica”, however I took some photographs from outside. The Colosseum is really a place worth visiting, which gives you a glimpse of ancient Roman culture. I remembered this place from the movie “Gladiator” by Russell Crowe. I did not find any real gladiators there, though some people were dressed up like that, attracting and charging tourists to take photographs with them. The “Spanish Steps” were really awesome, full of tourists, some of them dancing over ancient music. The stairs at this place resemble those of Times Square in New York, though they were a bit old compared to Times Square. Although I have no taste in paintings and sculptures, however, the “Vatican Museum” was not bad at all. There was a sculpture of Jesus at one place as well, where you cannot use your camera. Some other nice places to visit are “Roman Forum”, “Piazza Navona”, and “Pantheon”.

Well this was all about the Rome trip. Now I am burning my midnight oil in writing up my thesis as I am going to finish the final year of my PhD this month. I am keeping my fingers (including toes, hands, elbows, feet) crossed, to submit my thesis this year and get the viva as soon as possible. I really want to finish now.

Furthermore, we welcomed new undergraduate and postgraduate students from ECS last week. While giving them a tour of ECS, I revived my memories when I first gave new students the tour of ECS in 2008. It is sad that I will be leaving soon, however, this is part of life and I am happy I got a chance to study at a prestigious place like ECS. Studying at ECS has expanded my horizon, and now I am keen to bring fortune to industry and serve humanity by complementing the theoretical knowledge with practical experience of the professional life I gained in ECS.

See you guys soon, keep smiling!
Musi