Careers, Mountbatten and Freebies!

I’ve just experienced firsthand how valued ECS students really are. I visited the University’s IT, Science and Engineering Careers Fair and you only have to say you’re studying Electro… – and they’re falling over themselves to promote their particular companies and careers options.

They then all asked what year I was in and I somewhat sheepishly replied, “First”, assuming that they would no longer be interested, but I was wrong. Sure, a couple of the companies were only looking for graduates, but the vast majority were very keen for me to submit my CV and apply for a summer internship. And remember, the only thing they knew about me was that I’m in ECS. It really does open doors for you!

Speaking of opening doors, we got our first taste of the new Mountbatten Building this week now the main atrium and reception has been finished. You can tell already that an awful lot of work has been put into it, and I am looking forward to a proper exploration when my tutor moves into her new office there in a couple of weeks!

And finally, isn’t student pricing great?! For example, all the major newspapers want our business and most days one of them sets up their stall outside the Union shop, with tempting free gifts in hand. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a copy of The Independent (worth 70p) complete with free mug (~£1) for 40p and this week The Telegraph (worth 90p) cost just 30p and came with a free pack of Haribo (~£1.50)! Those sweets were the perfect complement for our trip to the Uniplex cinema (The Cube in the Students’ Union transforms into a cinema twice a week) where tickets cost just £2, compared to £5.80 in the nearby Odeon. Long live student discounts!