Student Helper at the Careers Fair

Last Wednesday, I was a student helper for the IT, Science and Engineering Careers Fair. It was massive; we had 85 exbihitors spanning across two exhibition sites. Another company was unable to take part in the Careers Fair because all the spaces were booked so they had to set up shop in Zepler instead.

I’ve been regularly working as a student helper since last year. The pay’s not too bad, but what I like the most about it is that you’re in the front line of getting the most out of careers fairs such as this. In the morning, when we’re helping exhibitors carry their displays and boxes, it’s usually the ideal time to be asking them your questions about their job opportunities. I see it as a win-win situation; they get to practise their promos with you when they’re still fresh and they haven’t been bombarded by hundreds of students, while you get the inside scoop before anybody else does and they do tend to pay more attention to you. I guess that’s probably because I’m helping them carry their stuff in the first place 😛

What I like the most about this year’s fair is that now that I’m a final year student, I actually understood the jargon they were throwing at me! Maybe it’s because of the two years I’ve spent here. Maybe it’s because of my summer placement. But when they were explaining to me about the technical aspects of their jobs, I was surprisingly comfortable with the conversation. When one guy was talking about triple DES, my mind raced back to my last Communications and Networks lecture. When another guy mentioned about Java APIs, I remembered my Advanced Programming tasks. When someone else said he was in the infrastructure department, I related his experience to my internship in Malaysia. Long gone were the days when I’d just nod and feign interest in their techno mumbo-jumbo while I was eyeing the colourful freebies on their table.

That Careers Fair made me realize that I’ve come a long way since I was just a freshie two years ago. I’m happy that my time here is fully preparing me for the future and I’m a bit excited over my prospects and what’s in store for me.

However, this fair is my worst in terms of my freebies count because I could *just* snag two pendrives, one keychain light, 4 pencils, 14 pens, 3 highlighters, 4 sweets, a pad of post-it notes and a Rubik cube. It’s a shame in my books. My friends did a lot better! 😛