Writer’s Block?

I’ve finally decided that “writer’s block” is a pretty lame excuse and I must entertain you with my first blog entry. 😉

England is treating me surprisingly well. Everyone spends at least 5 minutes a day loathing local weather but I think it’s not that bad. I am not a great fan of monsoon season we are experiencing for the past two weeks, but at least it’s warmer than back home.

Having done International Baccalaureate instead of A-levels, I had no idea what to expect from my course. Fortunately, my worst fears were only a product of my imagination. I do find some aspects of my course rather challenging, but there are a few things I consider to be too simple. The University does not expect you to be a child prodigy (you wouldn’t need university if you were one), so you will be fine as long as you put in some effort.

University is not only about studies, it’s also fun. ECS did a good job in proving this as they made us run through the city making silly things and taking pictures during the freshers week. It was called JumpStart programme and it was a great way to make friends with coursemates and explore Southampton.

The Students Union has numerous societies that will suit every taste. I joined Debating Society and I love it. Algernon Moncrieff said that things were originally made to be argued about. I totally agree and 6pm on Mondays in Nuffield Lecture Theatre A is the best place and time to do it (you can’t escape from advertisements these days). Paintballing trip a few weeks ago was a perfect way to spend a Saturday and it reminded me the long-forgotten fun of crawling in mud and shooting friends with paint.

P.S. I’ve just realised I haven’t introduced myself. My name is Slav and I’m a first year Electronic Engineering student from Latvia. Better late than never. 😉