I’ve Had An Extremely Busy Few Weeks

A very busy few weeks

As per usual, I’ve had an extremely busy few weeks. Well, it wouldn’t be exciting any other way really, would it? I’ve been to a conference in Bristol, ran three skill session workshops for AIESEC, started band rehearsals for next week’s Winter Revue, helped out with Fish on Toast’s Southampton Apprentice competition, started Japanese lessons and even found time to pop home for a couple of nights for my Dad’s birthday! Oh and then there’s the small matter of my degree too, complete with lectures, coursework and of course my Third Year Project! So where shall I start?

Probably the most entertaining, useful and different thing I’ve done in a while has to be the AIESEC conference, Southern Rocks that I went to in Bristol. I’ve got heavily involved with the Southampton branch this term and so this was a great chance to meet lots of fellow AIESECers from across the South of England. But what is AIESEC I here you ask? It’s so much, I find it very difficult to describe when anyone asks, so to quote from their website it is “a platform for youth leadership development…chance to work abroad…and develop both professional and personal relationships across the world”. The conference entailed a mixture of team-building activities, plenty of chance to develop presentation skills and above all have lots of fun! It was great to meet so many new people as well as getting to know the others from Southampton much better and all in all just a brilliant weekend! Since returning from the conference I have delivered three skill sessions (on sales, team-building and negotiation) to the rest of the Southampton branch, which was a great chance for me to put my new skills into action!

After a seemingly slow start whilst waiting for components to be delivered, my individual project is now coming along extremely nicely. As I have mentioned before, my task is to design and build a low-cost arbitrary waveform generator – basically a fancy sig-gen you can program to produce any shape waveform and not just the standard sine/square/triangle, etc. I’m delighted to say I now have a working prototype! You can draw the waveforms on the PC, connect up my device my USB and then display them on an oscilloscope! There’s still plenty to be done however, so I am not resting on my laurels. It can do the basics OK, but I can definitely get it working with much greater performance and with the addition of even more clever features. Additionally, I need to design, build and test the analogue back-end and finally design a PCB. It’s certainly a great position to be in though and I am very pleased with how it has gone so far!