68 days and counting

68 days and counting

No update last week as the project was put to one side in order to prepare for a presentation and grammar test in French. A language module is 16 weeks long and counts as a double module. This means that it runs up until the 4th week of the second semester. The final two assessments count to the remaining 20% of the mark. A good result in both would give me a first-class mark overall, so naturally it made sense to prioritise.

In between all this presentation work, I have also been attending interviews for internships around. Having spent the last two summers in Southampton, I’ve been looking at opportunities in the West Country and the capital. I have been offered one in central area. More on this when the paperwork goes through. It is interesting to note that employers are very keen to come to Southampton as they seem to have a high degree of confidence in the University and its graduates. Granted that my experience plays in my favour, but other students in my circle of friends who have been on the lookout for employment have been finding a great deal of success in finding work or at least getting to the interview stage. Having had to find a job in IT without a degree, I can tell you half the battle is getting the interview.

In other news, the exam results are out and my results improved slightly on last year – I’m now the right side of the first-class boundary. It is somewhat ironic that my best result came in the Management module, which I was least comfortable with. Good news, since although I’ve been spending a massive amount of time on my project, I’m doing sufficiently well in balancing that out with the other workload.

At the time of writing, there are 68 days remaining before final report submission. There never seems to be enough time to do most of the jobs remaining, so it is important to keep on top of the situation. It could be suggested that I’m a little cynical about the planning aspect of my work. However, it can be necessary in order to prove to yourselves what there is to be done and prioritise. I have been guilty in the past of focusing too closely on the job at hand, so I will endeavour to keep a good handle on the tasks outstanding. On that subject, I’ve been developing the rendering element of my prototype, which boils down to primitive drawing based on a XML-based markup language. It should be simple enough, but still involves much work. In the immediate future, my questionnaire is due to close soon and I need to get to work analysing the results. Revolutionising the world must be done one step at a time…