ECS Undergraduate – What a Great Position

Welcome to my first blog entry, which has a zombie theme. The reason for this will become clear but I wanted to warn you from the outset that I might be digging up some pretty old jokes…

So, having read other ECS blogs for the last year fascinated to know what being an ECS undergrad is like, I’m now one of them! What a great position to be in – I really am anticipating having a fantastic year. We have plenty of work from the get go (I’d hate to be sitting around unable to apply my braaaaains) but equally there is time for other activities. The opportunities to get distracted here really are endless. From the abundance of exciting societies to socialising with flatmates to writing blog entries there is no shortage of activities to eat up my time. It will require a level of discipline to knuckle down at times, but in general it’s just a very exciting environment to be in.

Cooking has been fun. Not having cooked a great deal before arriving, I was rather apprehensive about feeding myself. Some dishes have been a surprising success, whilst others have been a surprising colour. Either way I’ve had a surprising amount of washing up. My mastery of cooking rice is carrying me through perfectly well. Other members of the flat are much better cooks than I am – although, zombified after a long night of drinking, their culinary ambition is notably muted. On the subject of food, you may be wondering whether zombies eat brains with their fingers. Well in fact, zombies often prefer to eat the fingers separately…

Fresher’s week is a fun time to get to grips with new surroundings, new routines and new acquaintances. It seems as though every new location delivers a terrifying horde of names to learn. On the other hand, very few people expect you to know their name straight off. Those people with whom you really ought to be familiar are your tutor group. (Incidentally, my tutor group includes fellow ECS blogger Robin Johnson)

This is where Jumpstart comes in. Jumpstart is an ECS event put on every year for freshers. For us, the challenge was to plan for the inevitable undead uprising. Our plan, to open a zombie bar, gave us a chance to not only survive, but to cash in on the zombie apocalypse. This also gave me the inspiration to bring an otherwise lifeless blog post an injection of zombie.

I hope you’ve enjoyed your time with the pundead. I’ll just leave you with this:

How do you know that a zombie’s been borrowing your jeans? STAAAAIIIIINNNS…

zombie picture