Fresher’s Week II, Free Food, and lots and lots of coursework!

It’s been a month since I returned to Southampton, and a very good month it’s been! It all started with me helping with the ECS Jumpstart City Challenge, which involved leading a group of freshers around the town whilst they had to create a comic book style story incorporating all the places we visited. We also had to include such crazy things such as being chased by a group of over 20 people, getting resuscitated by a paramedic and meeting the mayor, amongst others. A good day was had by all and I was very impressed by the quality of the storyboard my team put together at the end. We had a chance to see all the groups’ work at a prize ceremony at the end of the week, which also included a humungous buffet provided by ECS! It was absolutely massive and despite 100+ attacking it there was still plenty left at the end. It seemed such a shame to waste it, so myself and a couple of friends lingered around at the end till most people had gone and then asked if we could take it back home with us…and so off I set on the walk home carrying as many platters as I could possibly manage. It was quite bizarre but an altogether tasty experience! And it seemed to set a trend for things to come over the last 4 weeks as I seemed to have accumulated a fast quantity of free stuff – particular food…I’m not quite sure how, but I must be doing something right!

Eventually Fresher’s Week had to come to an end and then the real work began. We got stuck straight in at the deep end, with 9am lectures everyday and 6 massive pieces of coursework (equating to about 2 full units) already! I’m hoping this is a bit of blip at the start of the year, as if it’s not then it’s going to be extraordinarily busy. Already we’ve had two major design exercises which have been great fun, despite the sheer amount of work they entail. We had an individual project to implement a 3-bit multiplier on 3 programmable logic devices and a group project to design a digital IC which will be sent off for fabrication. The lab work for both of these has been done now, but I’m in the middle of writing detailed reports for both, which are both due in this Friday. It’s going to be another very long week!

In other news, I’ve started off in my role as Treasurer for SUJO with great success, managing to secure us sponsorship from the year from Soul Cellar, a jazz and live music club in town, right next to the civic centre interchange. Go and check them out, and tell them SUJO sent you! I’ve also started attending Fish on Toast meetings (Entrepreneurs society), playing football for the ECSS team amongst other things, so there’s really not been enough hours in the day recently. So with that in mind I was very grateful for today with the clocks going back – can every day have 25 hours please?!

P.S. I was very pleasantly surprised during Jumpstart with the number of people who recognised me from writing these blogs and said how much they enjoyed reading them. I had no idea! So no pressure from now on then…hope you enjoyed this one too!