IE being IE, or maybe Firefox being Firefox

I feel the need to talk about something that’s not coursework or exams of doom and gloom (see May 24th 2010 entry). However, I do feel the need to moan about the developers of IE and Firefox, as it appears neither of them are “doing the right thing”™….

So, everybody loves Internet Explorer, right?

Not so if you’re a web developer. Internet Explorer 8 (which would like to try and pretend it can pass Acid3 with just 20/100) in its infinite wisdom, decides to follow your instructions to the letter.

Firefox, on the other hand, sees your instructions and does a bit of LaTEX-style processing on them, and declares “I know best about (whatever)”.

The result was, in IE, I had list elements which were being randomly indented by 16 pixels as IE was applying the bottom margin to the above element (which didn’t need it).

In Firefox, everything was behaving as expected.

The problem was, I had a bottom margin which overflowed the container, so rather than IE making the container bigger, it just applied the bottom margin and then reformatted the elements below it!

OK, in this case it was my code and my being stupid that caused IE to be IE….but there’s other times when IE just decides to be IE, and does things you never did ask it to do.