Light, Warm, Comfort

Light, Warm, Comfort

Sometimes, it seems odd to outsiders the strange dependency that we[1] have on our little slabs of silicon and metal. Sometimes it seems odd to us[1]. I recently went away, visiting family in a more isolated[2] part in this country, and when I returned, my peers greeted the concept with stunned amazement, on how I could survive in ‘the wild’, cut off from civilization[2].

Yet, I lived through the experience, with no mental or physical harm to myself, bar the nightmares where I was pursued by a giant representation of the incredible email and RSS backlog that awaited me[3].

I don’t wish to argue that access to the grid/cloud/gridcloud/internets is some sort of essential thing[4]; but it was nice returning, having the news on tap, being able to look at the Wikipedia reference for stars and planets, and generally being more connected to the greater world than before.

My netbook, and the cloud of information often attached to it, are pleasing to have, like ambient lighting, warm houses and bread. I can log in remotely to my house back in a different country, and bother my parents by turning on the network stereo; I can check how my elaborate, and no doubt poorly designed, undergraduate labs logging program is going, and I can watch videos of kittens making noises[5].

Obviously, if I was doing ACTUAL WORK, then I would need the Internet. Not that I actually work.[6]

[1] Where in this instance means “I” or “my”
[2] Where in this instance means “no Internet access”
[3] This didn’t actually happen.
[4] At least, in this stage of our[1] lives
[5] Actually, that’s so awesome, I’ve downloaded it for offline use. But the point still stands.
[6] For legal purposes, I’m stating that that statement was actually sarcasm. I work non-stop, completely, and absolutely 100%. All the time. Definitely always working.