GDP is finished!

A couple of blogs ago I wrote a little about my team’s group design project (GDP). Progress was going well at that point, but we still had a few weeks left of really hard work to make sure we could finish everything and get the monster of a report in on time (24000 words!). Well, I’m very pleased to say that we managed it and now I’m allowed to tell you a little more about what we were creating as well. Basically, we were using the depth camera in a Microsoft Kinect to construct a model of the human hand, with the end-usage being to use it as a rehabilitation aid for stroke patients. This was a very demanding project, involving lots of computer vision and image processing techniques, and programming in C++, three things that I didn’t know anything about at the start of the project!

We had to take the raw data from the Kinect and transform it into something useable, so that the key points of interest on the hand could be identified. Unfortunately at this time I can’t tell you exactly how this part worked; we managed to come up with a lot of creative new methods that had not been done before and so now the department are going to support us in writing up our results professionally for submission to some academic journals and conferences! Very exciting stuff and I’ll definitely keep you informed how this goes. Also, our group did some filming of our system for the department, which should be going live on the website soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Since GDP took up 2/3 of Semester 1, and one of my other modules was also 100% coursework, for the first time ever I only had one exam this January. It felt quite weird, but I’m definitely not complaining! That took place last Friday and I think it went OK, so now I have a week off before Semester 2 starts up. I’m going to really make the most of this time – tomorrow I’m flying away to Lithuania for the next 6 days where I will be training University students there on various leadership skills at AIESEC Lithuania’s National Conference so I’m very excited about that. However, I’ve just checked the weather forecast and it’s meant to be about -13°C at the moment… best go and pack another jumper! Have a great week everyone!