Exam Results Are Back!

Today was a very eventful day. Aside from the less obvious (the music DVD I won arriving in the post) we got our exam results back! Looking back to a month ago (already?! these four weeks passed in an instant really!), when everybody was struggling to cram as much as possible into their brains, I have to say I enjoyed the exams. It was inevitably stressful and didn’t always go as planned but in a way it was something familiar. I may be the only person thinking this but learning maths was relaxing and, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the Dreaded Discrete Maths Exam was probably the most fun I’ve ever had (in an exam at least!). So I’m celebrating with a truly student meal (broccoli, cauliflower and fish fingers) then going to the pub later (The Hobbit – the best pub I have ever had the honour of drinking in).

With this I can officially say that the first semester is over. I’ve been in Southampton for 5 months now, which seems strangely small and at the same time strangely big, it feels like both an instant and an eternity when you think about living somewhere. I’ve grown accustomed to the University, the city and the country and can’t imagine being anywhere else, it’s fun!

The second semester (or at least what’s been of it so far) is brilliant. I’m loving Data Structures and Algorithms or Advanced Programming, they are really enjoyable. Maybe the others are…less so…but they make up for it!! As of yet there’s not that much work to do, giving us a lot of time to pursue other interests.

Last week along we visited the IBM headquarters (I chose to call this place ‘headquarters’ because it reminds me a lot of the Croft Manor from Tomb Raider – it’s big to say the least!!). It included a few talks about what it is that IBM (or rather this specific part of IBM) do, lunch (best bit!) and workshops. I have to say that it was quite fun, especially the workshops and the fact that it felt a lot like school field trip. The workshops – most interesting part of the day – included designing a system to keep Southampton safe (this time from real threats and not zombies!) and presenting it. Our group’s project took the form of a phone app to keep students safe when coming back from a pub.

Overall, I enjoyed the trip though I have to say it did achieve one thing: it made me not want to go to work just yet! Although what we did was enjoyable I love Uni too much and want to stay here for another few years before I decide what I want to do!!