Summer Holidays

Summer holidays

It’s been a while since I last blogged and a huge amount has happened in that time. First off were the summer exams. At the time I was slightly disappointed with how they went; I didn’t think they were terrible yet equally I felt I should have done better. However, fast forward a few weeks and actually they were the best set of results I’d ever had! Crazy stuff. Needless to say I was absolutely delighted with that. To top it off I’ve just heard this week from the School that my results were within the top 10% of the year group and have awarded me with a scholarship for this year – brilliant!

I had 3 weeks off after exams, but since then I’ve been working full time. As I have previously mentioned I had been offered a place on Ernst & Young’s Summer Internship Programme. Whilst not an electronics company, I felt it was an opportunity I couldn’t refuse and one that would help me to strengthen my ‘softer’ business skills, whilst having the chance to experience London life for 6 weeks. I had a really great time, meeting literally hundreds of people, including the fantastic 56 other interns I spent so much time with. I even had the chance to go on a business trip to Geneva for 2 weeks! I had a really good time and learnt a huge amount that will definitely be very useful in my future career.

Next, I had also managed to secure myself a 6 week placement with Analog Devices Inc in Newbury. They design ICs and the Newbury team’s specialism is analog-to-digital convertors. I’ve spent 2 weeks there so far and have been designing, simulating and synthesising a microprocessor core in Verilog. My first and second year modules in digital design at ECS have been very useful in preparing me for this as many of the tools I have been using are very similar to those we used in the labs so it has been quite easy to adapt and just get on with the work. I’m having a really great time so far as designing a CPU is something I’ve wanted to have a go at doing for a long time now so it’s great to finally get the opportunity! I’ve got another 4 weeks to go and so hopefully I will continue to learn a lot and have a good time. Then once that’s over it will be back to Southampton for the start of Part III. I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone! It will be great to see everyone again and get started on my third year project (more on this soon) and my new modules.

Finally, congratulations to everyone who received their A-level results this week and will be heading down to Southampton for the first time next month. I can guarantee you’re going to have a fantastic time and hopefully I shall meet some of you soon!