As a Computer Scientist you Spend Time Fixing Other Peoples Computers

There is something special about being the house’s computer scientist. You spend a lot of time fiddling with networks and trying to fix other peoples’ computers. Fortunately the tools to properly diagnose and repair computers are very good these days. Unfortunately most manufacturers think that a recovery CD costs too much to bother including in the package, so they half-heartedly provide hidden partitions and the like that don’t help one iota when there is a hardware failure. Clearly we are supposed to just buy another computer and get on with it.

I have spent the last few weeks building a website with login and product reccommendation system. The idea is to make a mock-up of a webstore or options selection system and reccommend popular items to the user based on what others have selected. After it is complete I will be performing a complete security audit on the design, fixing it up as much as I can, and writing a report for one of my other modules.

In the meantime, my individual project is coming along slowly in the form of a never-ending series of prototypes, each demonstrating a tiny piece of the desired functionality of the final program. I started writing the high-level requirements this week and realised that there is still a long way to go before I can start putting all the features together in one cohesive whole. Current deadlines have forced me to put a lot of this work on hold for now, but at least the ideas are all coming together nicely.

I also have a group project on scripting, which involves building a server or two and a fancy javascript client to go with it. We are starting to iron out the requirements to get the basic system up and running before growing the design into something more impressive. The scripting course is run very much like what happens in the real world, where the team is effectively bidding for a contract by showing off a skills portfolio website with the emphasis on tying together different technologies in different languages and running on different sides of the corporate firewall. Needless to say, this introduces some ‘fun’ problem-solving exercises, not the least of which is just getting the various web browsers to work properly.