My First Two-Cents

To this day, it’s been three weeks since Computer Science has officially started, and I’m liking it. The programming labs are suitable for everyone of all abilities, even for Java Junkies like myself, there are additional tasks which stretch your abilities. Of course there are also easier tasks for the complete newbie.

My last lab session involved me programming a virtual ATM. The basic task was to write a program which does a few very simple sums to deposit or withdraw money. Of course, being a space cadet (!! – a member of the elite programming group), me and my team mate took it one step further and coded a complete security system with PINs and a limited number of attempts. A-plus scored. The important thing to remember is to always use good programming conventions such as indenting your code, commenting it and giving variables sensible names. Some people didn’t get A-plus because of these fundamental things.

Organisation, organisation, organisation. You have to be organised if you want to be successful at university. For the first real week or so, I was struggling because I couldn’t keep track of which lectures were where and which event was on. Now I’ve found the perfect solution: make a note of it. Even if it’s a quick scribble on one of those free sticky notepads you get from the fresher’s fayre. You’re much more likely to remember that way because you will receive so many emails it’s impossible to remember every tiny bit of information.

The going is starting to get tough with my self-taught Mathematics for Engineering module and having tests every week for it, as well as trying to understand the abstract ideas in discrete (abstract) maths. I’ve also got coursework due in on the 30th October, though luckily, it’s on Linux terminals and I’ve had some experience of them being a Linux fan myself!