On the Topic of Coursework

So what better to see in the new year than with a fresh exam season?

Let’s ignore that though, and talk about coursework, as there’s been some pretty special stuff emerging in the previous week. Both the Scripting Languages group coursework and the Computer Graphics coursework assignments were due in recently, and so the labs has been a showcase for some amazing software. On the Scripting Languages side, group members had to display a large degree of willpower to continue working on their web-based games whilst resisting to play them, while the Graphics crew equally had to resist losing themselves in the 3D worlds emerging before them. It is amazing, given two open-ended specifications, how different the results can turn out. This certainly gives a different view on open-ended specifications like this. Being Computer Scientists, we generally like requirements set out in a very specific way – and in industry, of course the more specific things are the better for both parties. However, in terms of coursework, if they are done right these kind of specifications can allow a lot of creativity, which can make the coursework a lot more enjoyable.

With my module choices, I was pretty sure I was going to drown in coursework this past semester. In reality, it’s not really been too bad; a lot of the assignments even turned out to be really fun, especially the Graphics ones, and I even got to write an essay on Pixar (if you’ve read my previous posts, you’ll know a have a bit of a soft spot for Pixar and computer graphics). Even the security coursework was great, and I didn’t really have much of an interest in that area before I visited Netcraft on an open day early on in the year (I wasn’t even taking the Security module before that trip). I guess if you can enjoy the coursework, it seems less like work and your mind doesn’t mind spending more spare time on it. So just enjoy what you do! In my opinion, it’s not difficult to come by interesting, challenging and fun assignments in ECS – it certainly beats writing hundreds of essays!