2011 so far – Part 1

2011 so far – Part 1

It may be becoming somewhat of a cliché, but what a year it has been so far. Such a busy and exciting year it has been that I’ve not made time to write a blog about it yet. Oops! Sorry about that. But fear not, with a few weeks rest now, in between exams finishing and the start of work for the summer, I’m finally able to give you an update on all the exciting things I’ve been up to.

January started off with Semester 1 exams. Don’t worry, this isn’t one of the exciting things I was talking about (!) but nevertheless it is a very important part of university life, so I can’t not mention them. I had a busy time here, as due to my option choices I was taking an unequal split of modules throughout the year, but I felt they went OK and I was very happy with my results when they were later published.

With exams done, February came and this was where the fun really started. It began with a trip to London, courtesy of Fish on Toast, the University’s Entrepreneurship society I help to run, to a series of talks and debates from some very high profile business people, such as Julie Meyer and Theo Paphitis (of Dragons Den)! It was a really fascinating and insightful day and thoroughly enjoyed by everyone who attended.

Later that week I headed off to Nottingham for an AIESEC UK conference, an inspirational weekend choc-full of motivational speeches, team-building, leadership activities, socialising with really cool people from all over the world and much, much more! That summary doesn’t really do it justice, but it was quite simply one of the best weekends I have ever, ever had. I came back bursting with fresh ideas and energy and motivated to make the most of all the opportunities I could engineer (literally and metaphorically) for myself over the coming months.

At the end of February came another conference, but this time held in Southampton and one that I was part of the organising committee for. We’d been building up to this moment for 3 months, but as it drew close to the time there was still a lot of work to do if we were to be successful. With just a week to go, I managed to secure a major sponsorship deal with retail giant Tesco and from that moment on I knew we would be OK. It was a fantastic learning experience for me and a huge amount of fun too.

By now I’d certainly been bitten by the conference bug, which was fortunate since I was to get plenty more opportunities to do so as you shall see in the next part of my look back of the year so far. But lest not forget whilst this was all going on I still had plenty to be getting on with back at university with my third year project to keep ticking over and three new, exciting modules to tackle. This time around I had Radio Communications, Analogue Electronics and Advanced Computer Architecture. The year 2 module on Computer Architecture was probably my favourite course to date as I’m fascinated by all the clever technology that goes on inside PCs and processors, so I was very much looking forward to this advanced course. I wasn’t disappointed and it was made very up to date incorporating examples from Intel i7, Sandybridge and AMD Opteron amongst many others which were very interesting to learn about.

I’ll post again very soon to go through the next couple of months of 2011 – I promise it won’t be another 6 months this time!