Seasons Greetings

Roast turkey. Crackers. Party hats. The Queen’s speech. Watching the Great Escape. These are the main traditions of Christmas Day, and of the Christmas holiday in general. And for the next three years, I can add a large helping of coursework and revision to that list.

Although there is only one day of term left as I write this, I still have to hand in one piece of coursework and do a maths exam. Whenever anyone now tells me that University is mostly play and little work, I feel I have the right to hit them. With any weapon I choose.

However, in the true student way, this hasn’t got in the way of the festivities. The ECSS Christmas party was well attended, and for £1 it was excellent value. The free drinks lasted for at least an hour into the night, by which time everyone had made several passes past the table on which they were being served.

In the sporting world of ECS, yesterday was the first football match that has been played since about 1998 (well, that what it feels like). Due to the extremely wet conditions lately, this was only the third match we have played on a Wednesday this year. We started off well, by turning up with eleven players (an improvement on the last match), and began well, holding NOCSOC to 1-1 for a large proportion of the first half. Unfortunately, the conditions were difficult, and the lack of substitutes meant that energy levels were soon drained, and we tailed off to a 14-3 defeat. Hopefully, many of the postponed matches will be rearranged for after the exams period in January.

And now, I would like to wish my readers a very merry Christmas, and I hope you both have an extremely happy new year.