Deadlines Before Christmas

The oddity of having the third year project progress report deadline before Christmas did have the advantage of pushing the project on to the back burner during the Christmas period. Not having questionnaire data to sift through was something of an issue, but hopefully there will be some movement on that front when everyone including undergraduates have had feet under desks for at least a week. The University itself has been open since the 4th and I took the opportunity to make inroads into exam revision. I have been fortunate enough to have some subjects which cross over with my project. One good example is Hypertext and Web Technologies (aka COMP3016): this involves the parsing of XML documents and the validation of such a document. Since I have to write configuration files, it seemed appropriate to practice this whilst implementing part of my third year project. Bonus.

As elaborated in my previous blogs, I’ve been working towards making a decision on target platform. The two options have been reduced down to 1) using Java/Swing which is supported by all mainstream desktop environments or 2) using Java on the Google Android platform. I have therefore been producing some rendering code to resolve some known unknowns (Yes, strike it off your management-speak bingo card if you have one). I’ve decided to find some appropriate devices to test the code. Fortunately, I own a cheap and cheerful Android phone and have been granted access to a Samsung Galaxy Tab which is on loan at the Learning Society Labs. This process is ongoing. In the meantime, I’ve been hedging my bets by developing some backend code in Java which should remain unchanged for both.

As I arrived back from the Christmas Break before the start of term, I took the opportunity to meet with my supervisor. Bit nervous as this was the one point where I would get feedback before working on the final project report. Got a few points on what to include in future and also that I need a designated proof reader. Plus ça change.