Undergraduate of the Year Awards

Undergraduate of the Year Awards

The last two weeks couldn’t have been more different than the previous three if they’d tried. Out is the non-stop pressure and tedium of exam revision, in, an exciting new timetable of modules and a bit of spare time for societies to kick off properly again. As a result I’ve probably been even busier than before exams, although rather than spending all day cooped up in my room at home working I’ve hardly spent any time there at all. In fact, this weekend which is currently plan-free is going to be fantastic as a chance to catch up on some much needed rest! But it’s also been a very exciting time for other reasons – I’m beginning to hear back from the multitude of internships and awards I’ve recently applied to and thus far the outlook is very good.

For example, today I was asked to attend an assessment centre in London for the Undergraduate of the Year, ‘First Year of the Year’ Award. Little did I know I had reached the shortlist for the final 30 in the UK!! The time for celebration was short however, as then began the gruelling process to narrow it down to the final 10. It’s been an extremely long and tiring day and it’s safe to say many of the tasks drew me completely outside my comfort zone. There was a mixture of individual and group activities designed to mimic working at a high level professional environment at Ernst & Young who are sponsoring the award, although I think they wouldn’t be best pleased if I revealed any more details than that. I should hopefully hear back within the next week or so to find out if I made it any further, but I think we were all so elated just to be in the top 30 that no-one will be too disappointed whatever the outcome. We are all going to get individual feedback on all the tasks too, so even if I go no further it will be an extremely useful learning experience as I am bound to undertake many similar selection days in the future when it comes to finding graduate jobs. Wish me luck!