It all gone so quickly

Less than a week left until Christmas break. The term has flown by with lots going on and not enough time to do it all in. Everyone seems to have settled in and found the things they want to do. I said before to give everything a go. Do it! I have found something that I didn’t even know existed before I came to uni. Canoe polo is an unusual sport (something like rugby and basketball in a kayak) but I really enjoy it and it gives me time to relax and have fun. I have also joined the university women’s rugby team and played several matches with them (we are currently top of our league!). There will be a club or society for you I can guarantee that!

Of course, it’s (unfortunately) not all about playing sports and having fun. The academics have now really got underway with exams looming almost immediately after our return in January. With some of the final courseworks and assignments due in this week and a couple still to be set for over the holidays, you soon come to realise that whoever said that first year was easy was wrong… for Southampton at least. Whilst the work isn’t easy and there seems to always be another coursework to do or lab to prepare for, it is very rewarding once you have handed it in, you realise how much you have learned and know that that is a few more marks closer to passing the year.

Time management is probably the hardest thing to master. As part of the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (one of the military units some students at the university are part of) I seem to have a lot less time for sports and academics than my flat mates and real free time is very rare. It does introduce more variety however. Not many other students will have spent their weekend walking and running around with full kit on, sleeping in the woods, being woken up at silly o’clock and running over 4km in boots carrying a heavy weight. Or a weekend getting paid to go kayaking, sailing and mountain biking.

Now then, I’d better stop procrastinating and start revising for those exams…