All good things…

As all good things come to an end, so does this semester. After making new friends,meeting new people every day forgetting their names in about 15 minutes and then rattling your brain hard to think if it was George or Jack or Dick or Tom the next time you encounter them, getting rid of the Fresher’s flu,getting free books, pens, ducks, posters and now cards, trying out Shepherd’s pie, fish and chips, mince pies, turkey, mashed potatoes, baked beans, all sorts of sandwiches (I think we can actually have permutations and combinations sums on them), discovering that all the food items mentioned by Enid Blyton actually exist and are as tasty as she made them sound, running towards the Unilink bus every single morning fervently hoping and praying that the driver will notice and stop while someone in the background cheekily screams-“Run Forrest Run!”, I can finally say I have achieved the status of a University student.

As every day in the UK is incomplete without sunshine, rain and cloudy skies, so is University life without Education. This semester I had Programming Principles, and let me tell you about the King of the Modules where we learn the principles and features of Java in lecture theatres and demonstrate our skills and understanding abilities in the Labs. I remember the first lab, I happily wrote the code, nicely indented it, commented on it in the minutest detail, the logic was clear and the output precise and when I showed it to the supervisor(swelling with pride like a bull frog) he gave me a toothy grin and promptly gave me a 75%. Ahem, Excuse me goes my cerebrum and the supervisor nods his head in a sagely manner and says – “It is OK but not extraordinary”. Moral of the story – you will not get a 100 in the labs daily unless your work is just short of a Nobel Prize or Fields Medal. But don’t worry, people do get it, but I think its occurrence is rarer than that of Halley’s Comet.

Discrete Maths is the most useful model when you want to show off. What have you been doing? I have been calculating the size of infinity. Sounds impressive but the moment someone asks you – How?, the bossy conceited balloon bursts. Here you uncover that there can be a world of difference to a computer scientist in just 2 alphabets “un”, eg-functions-countably, many can be calculated and uncountably many exists, know that the Mitochondrial Eve is really a myth (but i think she sounds cool), feel ashamed to hear that children know the laws of induction instinctively while you have difficulty in solving a single sum besides working with Sets, propositional logic, and various types of relations. We also have Digital Electronics (where we get a glimpse of Electronics ), Personal and Professional Development (where we made our own website, are making technical reports and will make group presentations) and Engineering Mathematics (where we take self-paced tests). But I think I will spare you the agony for the time being.

As for now, May Everyone have a Very Merry Christmas and An Awesome New Year and get more than ready to accept the gift the University presents us two weeks later!!!