JumpStart!

JumpStart!

Have I only been here two weeks?! Wow. I feel like I’ve been here forever – but in a good way. A very good way. Like most people, I arrived here amidst a confusing concoction of excitement and anxiousness, but I am amazed how quickly we have all settled in and what an amazing time I have had.

Fresher’s week was extremely hectic and very fun. I met so many new people and forgotten oh so many names – but then that’s half the fun really. In the daytimes ECS put on a series of activities called ‘JumpStart’ which consisted of lots of silly challenges such as singing a song in a shop, getting your photo taken with a policeman (preferably not whilst being arrested!), trying to find someone over the age of 60 and many, many more. On the face of it, it all seems a rather bizarre thing to do (especially as seemingly the majority of other Freshers spent most of the day in bed!), but it helped draw us all together and make friends on the course, as well as getting us acquainted with the city centre and surrounding area, so I would give it a big thumbs up!

The other main event of the week was The Bunfight, which confusingly has nothing to do with buns or fighting! It is in fact the day where all the clubs and societies take over the Union and try and get you to sign up. There’s all the usual stuff you would expect, like sports and music, but there are some really weird ones in there too. Like ‘Fish on Toast’. I’ll let you think about that one. Personally, I signed up for so much stuff I’m surprised my email server hasn’t crashed and melted into a slimy pile of goo… how much I stick with remains to be seen!

Being a new student here at ECS, my aim is to tell you what life is really like here and what you can expect if you are lucky enough to make it through the hallowed doors. There’s a wealth of information about the courses on offer and the university in general available on the web, but if you feel you have questions only a student actually here can answer I’d point you in the direction of this email: ask-a-student@ecs.soton.ac.uk and we’ll do our best to help 🙂

Anyways, now lectures have started, I’ve actually got to do some work! So I best leave it there. I’ll post again soon!