Network Issues over Christmas

OK, I know it’s been absolutely AGES since I’ve last updated this. Two months and a bit. It’s a disgrace, I know and I’m terribly sorry. I’ve been busy. I was probably busy doing stuff other than work, but nonetheless, faffing is still an activity πŸ˜›

At least we’ve got loads more bloggers to fill in the gap this time around. I can’t believe how much the ECS student blogging community has grown and they’re writing some pretty good stuff as well. Just goes to show that there’s a lot of nice things to say about ECS πŸ˜€

The last week of term was a killer. The ECS hardware was taking a beating by both technical faults and grumbling students with deadlines to meet so it wasn’t a pretty sight. The outages meant that we couldn’t properly work on our assignments. At some point I was in the labs when suddenly the Internet got completely cut off so my friends decided to go off to the pub for a pint instead! Fortunately (or not, depending on which way you look at it) the good guys in Helpdesk got the whole thing fixed and we were finally forced to abandon our impromptu vacation able to progress with our coursework.

This year, Christmas is a little different. I mean, the tinsel and bright lights are still there. In fact, I was more into the holiday spirit than in previous years. But somehow Bob, the Uni-Link driver who usually drives in a Santa suit for the last two Decembers, decided not to continue the tradition this year. I still haven’t found out why yet. I think it’s a shame; he never fails to make me smile each time I see him drive by in his bright red costume.

As usual, I’m spending my winter holidays here in Southampton when almost everybody else has gone home to celebrate the festivities with their families. The city does get quite dead, especially at night. Since I still live in halls, the silence gets to me even more. Sure, there are many more international students around who are staying back as well, but you can’t really dismiss the fact that our halls aren’t as vibrant as they usually are.

The good thing is that the Uni-Link buses are a lot more punctual now. They leave on the dot so if you’re late by 30 seconds, that means you’ll be waiting in the cold for the next 20 minutes. Or an hour if you’re waiting for the U2 bus.

It was raining on Christmas day; it wasn’t exactly the white Christmas I was hoping for. Still, my friends and I were in our festive moods. We were opening our presents and we successfully attempted to cook a proper Christmas dinner πŸ˜€

Just now, I was watching the New Year fireworks from my bedroom window. Yes, it would’ve been a lot nicer if I was outside celebrating, but then again the Uni-Link buses stopped working after 7pm and I didn’t want to walk all the way from town at night. The best thing about having a room that’s facing the University and effectively the whole city is that you get a good vantage point of all the fireworks around town. Apart the annoying trees that blocked my view, I could see fireworks near and far. It was as if the whole city was exploding with colourful joy. I stood there looking outside my window for a good 20 minutes or so. It was amazing and I wasn’t freezing in the cold midnight air πŸ˜€

The thing that I like the most about ushering in a new year is that you reflect on the year that has passed and you hope for better things in the future. If you were to tell me exactly a year ago that I would have experienced everything that I did in 2007, I would’ve slapped you silly. Now, I can only hope that 2008 brings me just as much happiness, if not more, as God has granted me now. Alhamdulillah.

Happy New Year everyone!

Only one week left to finish off all your holiday assignments now πŸ˜›