Spring Term Is Coming To An End

Spring term is coming to an end which almost marks the end of my first year of university life here. A lot has been going on in the last six months from the very first day I stepped onto this land. I still remember the day when I walked out of Heathrow Airport, the excitement building up in me was so intense that almost instantly, the fatigue due to the 13 hours-long flight journey was completely gone. Culture shock? Not really. I guess it’s just a different living style. Taking in everything as if it’s a whole new world for me, on the first day itself, I ‘discovered’ that the traffic lights here go from red to red and amber then only to green; satellite navigation is so common that it can be found in almost every private car; and lots more interesting stuff.

Apart from that, the course I’m in is quite intense. This is especially so when I have very little prior knowledge to what I’m studying in the modules other than some basic mathematics that I have learned in IB. The electrical and electronic laboratory module itself is particularly demanding, well, at least it is for me. From not having the slightest idea on how to switch on a function generator to building circuits for modulating and demodulating signals, you can see how much I’ve gone through and learned in just half a year.

The laboratory work especially provides me with lots of hands-on experiences dealing with electronic equipment and mechanical devices. Sometimes, it gets kind of stressful as it seems that no matter how much preparation we made before the lab, we still couldn’t get it done in the time required. I wish there would be more time allocated for a single lab session as most of the time we were rushing to finish the lab work. Also, we could get a more detailed explanation on what we are doing in the lab if we had had more time. It would be brilliant to have some sort of virtual lab available too, so that we can familiarize ourselves more with instruments and devices in the lab.

In retrospect, I’m quite happy with what I’ve achieved in half a year for my first year here. Nevertheless, the road ahead is still long and there’s so much to learn before I can really become a professional engineer.