PR placement in the car industry: olympians, events and more!

This post is written by third year Marketing student Tom, currently enjoying a PR placement at Nissan.

Within my time in the PR department of Nissan, I have had the pleasure of working on some pretty cool projects and events. Within my first month I had already worked an event with the world-record holding drift car, had worked with (at that time) Britain’s greatest ever Olympian Sir Chris Hoy, and had begun to plan a Rio themed carnival at the offices to celebrate our Olympics sponsorship – busy is an understatement.tom-collage

The parts I’ve enjoyed most about my time at Nissan are working and planning the events and generating ideas for activations, as it allows me to be creative and the budget allows me to dream big. As part of the Rio carnival, we had double-gold winning gymnast Max Whitlock come in to talk to staff about his Rio success and to give a demonstration and lesson on how to use the pommel horse, his preferred routine.tom4

I am also responsible for the upkeep of the Nissan employee app and intranet. This means that I get to act as a roaming reporter and write about loads of interesting things going on in the world of Nissan, and experience all facets of the business. I have recently taken a trip to the factory to watch the cars being built and saw the transformation from the sheets of steel through to the finished product. I also plan to go back to the factory next quarter and try my hand working on the line and building the cars.tom5

We also sponsor the UEFA Champions League, and I am currently working on generating ideas for activations that will engage employees and make them excited and proud to be part of Nissan, and gives them chances to win tickets to the Champions League final in Cardiff next June.

So far, I have really enjoyed my time at Nissan, but still miss the university lifestyle immensely!