Placement Life at Oracle: The largest company you’ve never heard of – Part 4

This is the final blog from my time here at Oracle, and it seems so very odd. In only a few days I will leave Oracle after finishing a 12 month internship in the Hospitality Marketing division. This has truly been one of the most if not the most memorable year of my life, the amount of growth I have seen in myself and that others have seen in me has been remarkable, what I’ve learned at Oracle has set me up for the rest of my professional career and personal life.

Let’s start from the beginning, joining Oracle as a younger, more naïve and an under experienced student I was thrown into one of the largest companies in the world. After all my compulsory training was complete I was quickly put to work, I was given important responsibilities straight from the get go and was constantly told I would always be a valuable member of our global team. The first few months of my internship saw me finding my feet pretty quickly: Learning people’s names, discovering how to use new software and figuring out how to compose the right email, these where just a few of the many daily activates I had to undertake. The business world was an alien environment to me and every move I made was new. Before I knew it I was co-manager of an inbound lead inbox which to this day has accounted for nearly over 3 million USD in revenue, I was sitting in on sales meetings, organising trade shows, raising invoices, booking rooms across the globe, writing blogs, generating industry reports, taking part in a professional photoshoots all whist managing an Executive box at the Emirates stadium. Slowly but surely I became a familiar face in the office and I was soon a renowned employee, being greeted with “Good Morning Olly” whenever I arrived at work. I became more comfortable with my role and my confidence was growing each day throughout my whole placement, I kept taking on more and more responsibility ensuring I was always busy and always had a challenge ahead of me.

Throughout the year I met the most incredible people, I’ve been to global summits, tradeshows, Italy, Portugal, corporate social responsibility events and so many other places and I’m always enthralled by the people I met, not once did I have a negative interaction with either an Oracle employee or customer. I have met VP’s, directors, managers, interns, executive assistance, engineers, catering staff, receptionists, sales reps, consultants and so many others its almost hard to keep track,  it’s definitely the thing I’m going to miss the most about my time at Oracle, and its going to be hard to leave for exactly that reason. I will miss the banter in the office and I will miss living with my current Oracle intern housemates, no doubt I will keep in contact with many people through the powers of social media however I’ve know this lifestyle for a whole year and it’s going to be hard to shake off that routine.

Similarly to many other placement students my internship had its ups and downs, there were definitely moments where my resolve and determination was tested, I was pushed to limits that I never thought I had and came out of it a stronger more experienced person. Thankfully, I’ve had significantly more ‘ups’ than ‘downs’, some of my favourite memories were from time in Lisbon, not only was I doing what I loved by making graphics and helping the video crew but I was also meeting my global team members for the first time, sharing drinks and stories, getting to know them on a personal level. The relationships I built on that trip will definitely last even when I’ve left Oracle! Another big highlight for me was my most recent achievement, my 54 Cateran Yomp in the Scottish wilderness. A challenge that pushed me to my limits both mentally and physically, it showed the real power and importance of teamwork and is by far one of my greatest achievements. There are some honourable mentions of course: Arsenal vs Man City premier league opener, going to Rimini in Italy, professional photoshoots, GBU global summit, all our team meals, filming Oracle Open World, 45 mile Palace to Palace bike ride for the Prince’s Trust but the two I highlighted are definitely standouts for me. I also won an Oracle intern award for outstanding commitment to customer client/service, which was a great way to top off the year.

As I’m writing this I’m just about to have lunch with the new interns, who will shortly become our successors and it’s really starting to sink in that I’m leaving. This placement has given me so much perspective, it has taught me what I don’t want to do as much as it has taught me what a do want to do with my career, it has taught me how to be more confident and it has taught me to not set limits on myself and what I’m capable of. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who I have worked with at Oracle and to each person that has spent time mentoring me, it’s been a hell of a year, and I definitely won’t ever forget it.

Written by BSc Marketing student Olly