Treasurer 2016/17

Treasurer:

What is your name and where are you from?

David Lawrence.

Originally from Mexico, then lived in Canada for 4 years and have been in Southampton for almost 4 years.

What is your position in the club? What does that imply? What do you have to do for the club? 

• Men’s 1st team co-captain – Lead the team and ensure all registration and travel is organised.
  • Treasurer – Make annual income/outcome predictions, apply for funding, decide on and collect fees, ensure all coaches and external venues are paid fully and on time.
  • Former President – Oversaw all club administration
  • AU representative – Make sure basketball and all other indoor team sports are well represented and taken into account in AU decisions

For how long have you been playing basketball for? What got you started?

I started playing basketball when my grandfather gave me the movie Space Jam in VHS for Christmas one year, I haven’t stopped playing since.

Why do you like/love basketball? What motivates you to go the training sessions? 

It is a great sport that tests your skill, fitness, determination, focus and ability to work in a team. Your teammates become your family.

What is your favourite NBA team? Who is your favourite basketball player? Why? 

I don’t follow it as much as should, but I’ve always been a Tony Parker fan because he grew up playing basketball surrounded by people who mostly played football, like me in Mexico.

What was your most memorable moment when playing basketball?

Leading the team last year to an undefeated season and getting promoted.

Anything else you want to share?

Being part of the basketball club has been the most memorable part of my time at university and I would encourage every student to get involved in any sport they are passionate about.