Social Secretaries 2016/17

Social Secretary (Female):

What is your name and where are you from?

Abigail Finn from Worcester (The home of Worcestershire sauce).

What is your position in the club? What does that imply? What do you have to do for the club?

Women’s team captain and club social/tour sec. As captain, I’m responsible for ensuring the season runs smoothly for the girls’ squad and maintaining team morale. As social sec I organise whole club socials for key events; some of our biggest socials so far included a white t-shirt social, Halloween and SUBC Christmas meal with many events like IOW pub golf, varsity, Alumni and tour still to come! Essentially I’m mainly responsible for setting up environments that allow for gathering and distribution of embarrassing stories involving our basketball players.  As tour secretary, I have to organise tour.  On tour I am in charge of organising socials for all the tourers and ensuring everyone has a great time!

For how long have you been playing basketball for? What got you started?

Since I was in high school, I met a ginger dude there with some insane handles! He came in for a sports taster session, demonstrated some basic ball handling moves and I was automatically hooked. I just remember thinking “I want to be able to do that someday!” (I’m still working on that!).

Why do you like/love basketball? What motivates you to go the training sessions?

I love the thrill of being on the court, the adrenaline rush as you sprint for a fast break, the joy of scoring a spectacular shot, feeding off the energy of the crowd and your teammates. More than anything I love the team, I’ve met so many incredible people through the sport but when you are on a court with a group of like-minded people who are that passionate about something, that is everything. I guess that’s why I wake up for 7 am Monday morning training even when I’ve only had a few hours of sleep, it’s because my team will be there and the more we train together the better we become.

What is your favourite NBA team? Who is your favourite basketball player? Why?

My favourite team has always been Chicago both bulls and Sky. Although my favourite player, Elena Delle Donne, has just transferred out of Sky so I will probably start watching Washington mystics from now on too! I have a lot of respect for her as a person and a player, she’s had to overcome a lot of challenges both on and off the court some including one that forced her to turn down a full basketball college scholarship so she could stay close to home with her family and disabled sister. She eventually found her way back to the sport and now plays at a level most players male and female can only dream of.

What was your most memorable moment when playing basketball?

Probably throwing myself off the court in the dying seconds of a game to save the ball when I was in college. Keeping it in play allowed my teammate to score a game-winning 3-point shot. I got some nasty bruises but for a result like that, it was totally worth it!

Anything else you want to share?

If you’ve never tried it I would definitely say give it a go ~ it’s not the easiest sport but is definitely the best.

Social Secretary (Male): 

Joshua White, Portsmouth.

My position in the club is social secretary which involves organising socials for the club bringing members together outside of basketball.

I love basketball as everything about the game/ lifestyle has a positive impact on my life and bettering myself is my motivation to go to training.

Favourite team is Chicago bulls, and my favourite player is Jimmy Butler.

Most memorable moment playing basketball is beating the men’s 2nd team being a member of the 3rd’s two consecutive years.