Men’s 1st Team Captain Omar

Only one week to go until trials, and as a committee, team and club we are just getting ourselves prepped and ready for one of the most important days of Fresher’s Week: the Bunfight. On Wednesday 25th September, come and find us to join the best club in Southampton! Aside from stepping foot into Jesters for the first time, we can guarantee you that this will be the best decision of your University life.

Now, time for Captain Omar to take the stage. Since the season 2010/11 he has played a crucial part in SUBC and we can’t wait to see him step up as the Captain of the Men’s 1st team. There is no questioning his talent, with 7 years of playing basketball, he has played for club and country, representing the national team of Qatar.

[tb_player id=”99″]

Let’s get started… Omar, over to you!

I want to welcome you all to the University of Southampton Basketball Club. I am honoured to be your Captain this year and I look forward to making the best out of it. I am mainly the Captain for the First Team, but I welcome every player. So some history lessons for y’all: I have been playing Basketball for almost 7 years and I am completely IN LOVE WITH IT. I played for my Club back home and my country Qatar up until I started University and I continue to play it with passion.

How did last season go for the Men’s team?

The Southampton University First Team had an excellent start last season winning every game in the BUCS league except for one. The second half of the season was more competitive and we weren’t as fortunate although hard efforts were present. We also entered a new league gaining experience and playing at a higher level (Division 4 National League.) With the help of Focus Sports, we improved in terms of strength and conditioning.

Sound good, looking forward to next season! Tell us more about Focus Sports…

Some of the highlights of last year was experiencing the Focus Sports program given to us by the Athletic Union as we are a performance team. Many of the players who worked with this program will tell you that the gain from it is incredible. It expanded our knowledge regarding nutrition, recovery, workout techniques and many other areas.

Another exciting highlight was SUSUtv, which took videos of our games and activities, producing different highlights of the team. Consequently our club fan base grew leading to more fans attending our games especially on Saturdays when the national league games took place.

What are your plans for the upcoming season?

Next season we look forward to new players/freshers that join the team with enthusiasm and great game. Up to now we have found a couple of young players that have matured well physically and mentally. Trials are around the corner so we are still waiting to see if we get some skilled freshers! We also look forward to another great year of Focus Sports and National League experience. With an early start this year we hope to up our game and dominate the BUCS league, as winning BUCS and getting promoted is one of our main focuses!

Thanks Omar, you will make a great Captain, good luck for the season.

Don’t miss us at the Bunfight!