Captains 2016/17

Men’s 1st Team Captain:

David Lawrence  -> Go to Treasurer

Women’s 1st Team Captain:

Abigail Finn -> Go to Social Secretaries

Men’s 2nd Team Captain:

What is your name and where are you from?

AJ Wales from Oakville, Ontario, Canada

What is your position in the club? What does that imply? What do you have to do for the club?

Captain of 2nds. This means I have to work with the coach to make sure the team is working properly and liaise with the committee. I must also fill out the team sheet for games. I also sometimes promote events that will be happening.

For how long have you been playing basketball for? What got you started?

I have been playing basketball essentially my whole life. Started at 5 with a friends net and then continued to play from there. I probably got interested from the fact that when I was 5 around 5 the Toronto Raptors became an expansion team in the NBA which allowed me to follow a team regularly and be exposed to basketball at a young age.

Why do you like/love basketball? What motivates you to go the training sessions?

I love basketball because it is truly poetry in motion. From the sound of the ball swishing through the net to an awesome no look pass. The game is just beautiful when played right. Training is limited so I go because it is valuable court time. I also enjoy working on my game and getting better each week with my teammates.

What is your favourite NBA team? Who is your favourite basketball player? Why?

As previously stated it is the raptors but also growing up I liked the lakers because they had Shaquille O’Neal who was my favourite player

What was your most memorable moment when playing basketball?

There have been a lot as I have been playing so long. I guess when ever my team won a championship that is pretty special as not a lot of people get to do that.

Anything else you want to share?

I used to go to basketball camp for 3 weeks in the summer for 5 years. There I achieved a lot and was able to refine my game to increase my basketball IQ

Men’s 3rd Team Captain:

Jack Midwinter from Bristol

3rd team captain. I am responsible for motivating the team and setting an example, through my attitude, at both training and games. I also have to relay messages from the committee to the team and organise team-sheets for games.

I’ve been playing basketball for 6 years and both watching my local BBL team play and NBA 2K10 inspired me to start playing.

I love basketball because it is such an intense and exciting sport that centres around tactical team play and fast-paced decision-making. The constant improvement both as a team and individually is the main factor that motivates me to go to training.

My favourite NBA team is the Chicago Bulls and my favourite player is Allen Iverson due to his hustle, intensity and aggressive play despite his height.

My most memorable moment was when our 3rd team beat the 2nd team by 2 in the final seconds of the game.

Development Team Captain:

Marco Begozzi, from Milan in Italy.

I’m the captain of the development team, which means my job is to motivate and inspire my teammates to improve their skills and develop them into better players. I am also in charge of the club’s intramural teams, which are an excellent opportunity to experience playing in games at a reasonably competitive level.

I played basketball from 6 to 12 years old, then made the mistake of moving to football, only to return back to basketball at 19, when I started uni. What got me into the sport was Nba inside drive 2002, a video game I played for years, and Space Jam, one of the best films ever.

When I played on my Xbox, I used to love scoring threes with Reggie Miller, hence why I am an Indiana Pacers fan (I was also on the Lakers bandwagon). Other than Reggie, my favourite players are Paul George and the goat Michael Jordan.

I love playing basketball because it’s fun, I enjoy every moment I spend on the court, both good and bad. I always want to go to practice because I want to improve my skills to the best I can; my objective is to make the first team before I finish university. It will be very difficult, and I don’t know if I’ll manage, but I definitely will give it everything I have.

When I played on my Xbox, I used to love scoring threes with Reggie Miller, hence why I am an Indiana Pacers fan (I was also on the Lakers bandwagon). Other than Reggie, my favourite players are Paul George and the famous Michael Jordan.

Anything else you want to share?

My favourite moment playing: Morning shootarounds with my friends in the summer.