Sustainability Action Blog

« Older posts | Newer posts »

Category Archives: Community

Food For Thought

By Imogen Dinham-Price |

As I move into the fifth week of my internship, I have truly begun to see how sustainability can really implement itself across whole faculties! One of my tasks has been to engage with the Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) practice and to start implementing it throughout the curriculum here at the University of Southampton. […]

Also posted in Curriculum, Staff, Students | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Conference: Students and Businesses Transforming their City

By Julia Kendal |

Register now for a free one-day conference on Tuesday 15th September to be inspired and equipped to deliver sustainability projects and solutions.  Throughout the day we will explore how universities and students’ unions can foster a partnership approach to sustainability and the positive impacts such collaborations achieve – empowering students for action, benefiting the local community, and improving […]

Also posted in Staff, Students | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

My First Week in a Collective Cloud Brain

By Imogen Dinham-Price |

As an intern there were many thoughts which began to float around my head when I first began; What shall I wear? Will I be good enough? How does my boss like their coffee? There are also many tasks I thought I would be asked to do, for example; file, smile and make coffee. Of […]

Also posted in Students | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

A year of sustainability action

By Julia Kendal |

2014/15 has been a busy year of action for sustainability at Southampton! Hundreds of students and staff have been involved in a diverse range of activities including: Joining with 250 people to switch off office equipment left on unnecessarily across four different campuses (in return for free hoodies and pizza!) at the Southampton Blackout. Free […]

Also posted in Campus, Curriculum, Staff | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Southampton gets its own Bright Club

By Julia Kendal |

Guest blog by Duncan Parker from the Bright Club Southampton team. Bright Club is coming to Southampton on 26th July! Bright Club started at University College London as an experiment 6 years ago with the idea of putting comedians and researchers from universities together on a single stage. Bright Club is a great chance to let people […]

Also posted in Staff, Students | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

BioBlitz 2015: Hundreds search for Southampton’s wildlife

By Julia Kendal |

On Saturday 5th June over 200 people gathered on the University’s Highfield Campus to hunt for local wildlife. The Southampton BioBlitz brought together the public and wildlife experts to search for and identify mini-beasts, birds, bats, plants, moths and much more on the University campus and adjacent area of the Common. To mark the beginning of […]

Also posted in Campus | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Volunteer with Shift Your Stuff (for free pizza!)

By Julia Kendal |

You’ve read here about how Shift Your Stuff is helping make it easier for you moving house at the end of the year. Now’s your chance to get involved with this new project being organised by the Students’ Union (and get free pizza…). Shift Your Stuff is making it easier for students to donate unwanted items […]

Also posted in Students | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Shift Your Stuff!

By Julia Kendal |

Guest blog by Lydia Butler, SUSU Ethical and Environmental Officer There is a visible cloud of stress over most University of Southampton students as final exams approach, however in a flash; another academic year will be over. In just a few weeks the stress will be over and will turn into sounds of celebration along […]

Also posted in Students | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Change in a Teacup – The Social Innovation Café

By Julia Kendal |

Guest blog by Josie Francis, University Social Enterprise Manager On Wednesday afternoon, we held our very first Social Innovation CafĂ© at the Nuffield Theatre Kitchen. The cafĂ© began with a single question – why do we find it so difficult to talk about mental health – and for the hour and a half which followed, groups […]

Also posted in Staff, Students | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

99 attendees to the Sustainability Festival

By Julia Kendal |

Guest blog by Madlaina Michelotti, Organiser of Southampton Hub’s Sustainability Festival On Saturday 7th March, Southampton Hub held another day-long Sustainability Festival that proved to bring even more students, staff and external organisations together than last year’s! With 99 attendees, inspiring talks and stallholders, delicious food and live music, the Physics building was buzzing with likeminded […]

Also posted in Staff, Students | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

« Older posts | Newer posts »